Friday 23 August 2013

Thursday Treat (on Friday): Lemon Meringue Pie


pie no. 2: Lemon Meringue Pie
occasion: I watched The Great Australian Bake Off and they made lemon meringue pie. I said to the boy that I could make better and he said well, here are some lemons and eggs, go ahead!
crust: Basic Shortcrust... I'm less sure about this one now, I think I'm going to have to keep experimenting. Shortening here isn't the same, anyone have any buttery pie dough suggestions?
filling: I used this recipe, although I added 2 egg yolks/whites to the curd and the meringue. I also added an extra 1/2 cup of lemon juice and the zest of 1 lemon to the curd. 
thoughts: Well I was going to say lemon meringue pie reminds me of my dad, but I'm pretty sure pie in general just reminds me of him. Besides the sub-par crust, I would have added more corn starch to the base to thicken it more. It didn't set properly but the meringue was fluffy and didn't weep, the crust was sweet and flaky (although just not what I was looking for) and the curd was bittersweet. All in all I was pretty happy with this pie!
days it took to finish: Two, between 4 people. 

 photo Untitled-4_zps00dbc191.png




                                        Facebook  Twitter  Bloglovin  Pinterest

-------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're wondering what this is all about, check out my 21 before 22 list here, and my previous pies here!

No comments:

Post a Comment