Tuesday 1 October 2013

I Heart Handmade: Milk and Crown

I Heart Handmade is a series featuring amazing people and their brilliant handmade treasures. To read more, click here! Today I am featuring Kristyn of Milk and Crown! Take it away Kristyn!



1. When did you first start making jewlery? When did you start selling your goods on Etsy?
I've always loved design and am very creative by nature. But I didn't start making jewelry until May of this year. I opened my Etsy shop a mere month later. It was a whirlwind but I've loved the journey it's taken me on thus far. 


2. Tell me a little bit about the creating process, where does your inspiration come from?
My first spark of inspiration was the image of a milkcrown--basically the shape milk takes when it splashes. It was so fleeting and beautiful, and I sketched out the Caron necklace from that image. Usually I sketch out a lot different designs and then spend some time playing around with beads, chain and other jewelry materials, trying to make them come to life. I love being able to make something tangible with my hands from an idea in my mind. 


3. Where do you come up with the adorable names for your pieces?
As a writer, I have always loved naming things. I believe in the power of words, in the sense that they evoke feeling and nostalgia within a person. I spend a lot of time researching the meaning of names. Most of them are Hebrew, the rest a mix of Spanish, Irish and French. Connecting a piece to a name gives it greater identity and purpose, and helps customers feel a connection to it as well.


4. Which of your pieces is your fave?
The Caron (pronounced 'khar-in') will always hold a special place in my heart because it inspired my whole collection and the name of my shop. But I'm very partial to the Stella. It's gorgeous and surprisingly so versatile.


5. How has owning an Etsy shop changed your creative process? Has it made it better or worse?
I think it definitely makes me more business conscious, which can sometimes put pressure on me. I feel more of an urgency to keep producing, but I try to stay grounded and remember that my success will come only if my work reflects in inspiration. On the other hand, it's been great as well because it pushes me to stay focused and not lose interest in creating.

6. What has been the hardest part of getting to where you are in your Etsy shop?
It's been hard getting the word out about my shop. The jewelry market is very saturated, but I really want women to see that my jewelry has something different. I hope my collection conveys a sense of value, style and beauty. 


7. What is your favourite thing about handmade goods? 
I just love the heart involved with handmade goods. Every piece I make has a story. I think what's so beautiful is that when you create something with your hands, you are essentially putting a bit of yourself into it. My passion, diligence and love shine through in the quality, careful packaging and deliberate personalization of every piece.

Check out her Etsy shop here: www.etsy.com/shop/milkandcrown
And while you're at it, here's her blog!: www.milkandcrown.com/

 photo Untitled-4_zps00dbc191.png




                                        Facebook | Twitter | Bloglovin | Pinterest

               If you're interested in being featured in a I Heart Handmade feature, feel free to contact me. To see other amazing handmade artists, check out the rest of my series here!

No comments:

Post a Comment