Wednesday 11 September 2013

I Hate Watching The News

Confession: I hate watching the news. I also hate reading the newspaper. And because of this, for the past 21 years of my life I have hated talking about current events. I'll know about things like Miley Cyrus's various scandals, the new iPhone release, and that there is a new polar bear at the Australia Zoo, but other than that I get so bored.

| Really Miley? Do you even know where that's been? via |

Let's face it, for the most part the stories in the newspaper are depressing and sad, or long winded and boring. And really, I don't particularly care to spend my time being sad or bored.


This posed quite a problem, though. When someone would mention a crisis somewhere in the world and I would just have to smile and nod like I had a clue what was going on until they asked me a question when I'd have to say... well I don't really know much about what's going on... it's an awkward feeling not knowing what's going on. Ever.

Enter, the Skimm. Maybe I'm totally late and all of you are just gonna go "omg I've been getting that in my emails for years" but maybe you haven't and it's my job as a life journalist (hobby as a blogger) to share this with you!



Basically you receive a 1 page email every day with the latest juicy gossip, which is actually hard hitting news. You get the lowdown on current affairs and they throw in a couple of human interest pieces just so you have something a bit lighter to talk about. Here is yesterday's edition, if you wanted to check it out.

It's only downfall is that it is based in the US, so if you're in other countries your SOL. Unless you're from North America like me, or just like to be kept informed about the happenings of the great United States.


Another great email subscription for more pop-culture/human interest news is Upworthy. They send you a daily dose of awesome or adorable, and let you in on some pretty big secret (like Jimmy Kimmel's twerk fail prank).

Anyways, if you're like me and prefer a spoonful to a whole pitcher of info, check those two out! Let me know if you are singed up for anything similar, especially in Australia/Canada, I'd love to know!


 photo Untitled-4_zps00dbc191.png




                                        Facebook | Twitter | Bloglovin | Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment